Friday, November 26, 2010

A hero lives inside of me

Just something I wanted to talk about. My dad has helped me in critical diabetes situations, calling an ambulance when went into the diabetic coma, calling an ambulance when I didn't wake up one morning with a BG of 13, only in the moments when my life is seriously in jeopardy. Yet he doesn't ever want to listen to me talk about my condition, whenever I start talking about diabetes to my parents my mom gives full attention but my dad seems uninterested and directs his attention at something else. I just had a 30 minute discussion about this with my mother. She said the reason for that is because she remembers him saying "I think people with diabetes get too much attention, they dont need that kind of attention". This infuriates me. I'm not personally mad at him for thinking that, because he doesn't understand. But I did kind of expect him to care about my health. My mother fills that void above and beyond what I ever expected of her. Dad, I understand where you're coming from, and I don't think less of you for it. I just expected you to listen and pay attention to what I had to say, especially when it's my life I'm talking about. Who knows, maybe someday once my blog grows longer I'll let him read all of this, and let him inside the mind of a person with diabetes.

2 comments:

  1. Hi DeeJay, I am going through the same thing with my mom regarding my son's diabetes. I don't know if it is some sort of guilt she feels and she doesn't like to talk about it - therefore it doesn't exist! or what! Like you, I deal with it, but it seems odd and it hurts! I am my son's partner with his disease until he leaves home. (13 now.) Type 1 is a constant concern, a roller coaster, exhausting! Our daily challenge is to roll with the punches with a the best attitude and not to let the numbers get us down!(Easier said than done!) All the best to you! Carolyn(mother of James)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes adults seem to ignore a disease or an illness because it's too painful for us to deal with on an emotional basis, or because we have been socialized "not to stare", which is shorthand for "ignore the differences" even when they are crucial to understanding another person.

    Given the way our society expects men to be stoic (unemotional, unbending, poker-faced) about everything, no matter what, it's not surprising for your father to act that way or to feel that by paying attention to your issues, he may cause you to grow up to be "less of a man" than he would otherwise want.

    ReplyDelete