Saturday, March 19, 2011

Every other time.

Whenever I read or hear about someone passing away because of hyperglycemia I always wonder what their blood sugar was at the time of passing. And I always feel so guilty, because I survived a 747 and a 1200 blood sugar. How much could the human body take? What if the next time I go into diabetic coma I don't come back? I hate thinking about the "what if's" of diabetes, but it's so hard not to. I'm normally very positive about diabetes, but just thinking of people passing away from their blood sugar being too high scares the hell out of me. I have the dexcom, but what if something happens in my sleep, it goes too high and I don't wake up. When my blood sugar was 1200, the only reason I lived through it was because my Dad had to come back home from work because he forgot something and saw my car, when I should of been at work. And when he picked the lock in my room he saw me laying lifeless. The EMT's had to carry me down a flight of stairs to the ambulance. Does anyone know someone's blood sugar at the time of passing? It just confuses me so much that I survived a 1200. That's astronomical to me. I never stop thinking about how lucky I am that my Dad came back home from work so early, because I would have been dead if someone found me any later. Sometimes, I really want to give up on diabetes because it's such a pain in the ass. But every other time I remember how fortunate and lucky I am to still be here.

4 comments:

  1. hey! i didn't know you had a blog! look at you! :)

    thanks for sharing part of your story. 1200 is pretty unbelievable! way to go, dad!

    we all have things that scare us. i'd be terrified of highs too if i'd been through all you have.

    glad i found your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you're posting again.

    The only thing I can say is that you aren't dead because there is a reason you are supposed to be alive. Maybe it's even to write this blog and share your story to help other people. Anyway, I'm glad you're here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always have the same question mainly because it is almost always preventable. On the other hand, people who perish from hyPO's is much more sad in my view, because of issues with hypo unawareness and the like. Still, glad you're in this community!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found you on#dsma tonight. Welcome to the d-oc. :)

    ReplyDelete