Saturday, July 16, 2011

It got worse?

I was at work, and for the first time since I started on the insulin pump a co-worker asked, "hey what's that tube looking thing?" I responded by saying "it's an insulin pump, I just started using it about a month ago". His response to that was, "so, did you get that because your diabetes has gotten worse?"

Instantly, in my mind, I was so annoyed! But I kindly replied with "no, this thing is actually IMPROVING the way I feel. This insulin pump has made my life with diabetes so much more easy to deal with by not having to constantly take injections all day long", he replied with "wow, that is really cool, I'm so happy for you!"

After that conversation I felt proud of myself that I didn't get an attitude, because he didn't know...he's not a  Type 1 diabetic. It feels good to teach someone something that they don't know much about, especially Diabetes.

10 comments:

  1. ahh yes, sounds so familiar. 'do you have that pump because your diabetes is the bad kind?' ...sigh...

    yay for not getting an attitude! haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay you were able to teach someone something about diabetes. The all too familiar 'your diabetes must be really bad because you have an insulin pump now.' Good you didn't get an attitude, if you did your co-worker would still be in the dark about the pump.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job on that awareness! You know, we so often roll our eyes and get annoyed about these things and try to "educate" people about how they talk about diabetes being "bad" or "worse," but sometimes we can over-advocate. Sometimes, people just need a simple explanation like that. Nicely done! Glad he took an interest and learned something, and had a cool response!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are we just a bunch of short fused individuals or are we just so tied of hearing these kinds of statements.
    You are one cool customer my friend because I find myself snapping at people when they say such stupid crazy things but its weird coz am so mild mannered in the other aspects of my life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice! :) You're right; sometimes the first reaction is to get snarky, but it seems to always pay off when you just take a deep breath first, and view them as someone who just isn't educated.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all the comments....yeah it was very tough to hold back and keep my composure! lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would have been annoyed too...kudos for not going off on your coworker and rather being an advocate for diabetes education. Way to go! And Congrats on your new pump:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. yay, dustin! it is so hard to step back and answer questions like that without getting annoyed. i have a hard time with that. thanks for reminding us that it can be done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great answer you gave! Awesome job keeping your cool, I have a really hard time keeping mine, but I'm going to try harder next time someone says something silly about D. Thanks!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice dude! It's so hard not to pull an attitude, but you're right - these people don't know, and it's not their fault they don't, right?

    Way to go on doing a little bit of impromptu education!

    ReplyDelete