Saturday, July 30, 2011

Reflecting

Recently I was bored, and was looking through my photos on Facebook. I have close to two thousand photos, so I figured I might find something old on there that I didn't even realize was there. I clicked through a lot of photos up until I came across two photos that truly shows how awful I looked when I came out of DKA a couple years ago. When I saw the photos I couldn't help but just sit here and remember the way I felt.


In these photos I'm wearing special glasses that were about an inch thick. After my blood sugar coming down from 1200, my eyes became crossed and I needed these glasses to see clearly. I've spoken to eye doctors, and the doctors at Joslin and they don't have a clue what specifically caused my eyes to be crossed, and I haven't heard anything similar from anyone else yet.


I was only a couple years into being a diabetic when all of this happened, and I felt so alone. I felt like I was the only person in the world with Diabetes because I knew no one else with Type 1. I didn't know if I was going to have to wear thick glasses forever, or if it was temporary. I didn't want to hear jokes about my thick glasses, because the reason my eyes were so screwed up is I didn't know how to manage this vicious disease that could have taken my eyes from me at 20 years old.


Here I am. Now 24 years old, my eye doctors tell me my eyes are "perfect", and the doctors have nothing to say but that my eyes going from cross-eyed to perfect is a "medical miracle". Those photos above give me the motivation to do everything I can to never let that happen again.  

I've come a long way. It's amazing what the DOC could do for a diabetic. You guys sure did pull me out of something that I thought I could never get away from. And I thank you for that.

6 comments:

  1. Hugs, my friend! I'm truly sorry that you had to go through all that.

    I'm so happy that you found the DOC! Both because it's helped you, and because it means I get to call you my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I said earlier on twitter, I read this in the middle of town and wanted to give you a big ole hug. DKA is not a nice thing to go through but to come out of it with such issues must have been really scary.

    You should be proud of yourself for writing this, it must have been really hard. I too am glad you found the DOC, it's a great place :)

    By the way, I'm so adding you to my blogroll :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry you had to go through that but so glad there was a good outcome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow... What an incredible ordeal. I'm so sorry that you had to endure something like that, only a few years in. But that it turned out OK - WOW. I can't imagine the overall feeling of that, but shudder thinking about it (knowing what it's like to be in the 500s and doubling that). It seems like there should be some research or scientific explanation as far as the eyes-issue, but maybe we aren't there yet. But again, so glad you came out of it and are where you are today. Once again, something to raise our glasses to (or pumps, for that matter) for a cheers to the DOC. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I keep saying the DOC should be available on prescription because it's so brilliant!

    Sorry to hear what you went through back then, but thank you for posting :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW!!! Great that you have come so far. Had no idea someone could go so high and be okay. I was 800 once and was in the ER...felt awful! Glad you are okay, looking and doing great....WAY TO GO!!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete