Friday, September 16, 2011

Invisible Illness Week


Since it is "Invisible Illness Week", and I had nothing to write about, I decided to steal Kerri's idea and use it! 
1. The illness I live with is: Type 1 diabetes
2. I was diagnosed with it in the year:  2005
3. But I had symptoms since: About a month before actual DX
4. The biggest adjustment I’ve had to make is: reading all of the nutrition facts...on EVERYTHING.
5. Most people assume:. That I became a diabetic because I ate too much sugar.....
6. The hardest part about mornings are: when I wake up low.
7. My favorite medical TV show is: not sure if I even have one...my life is my own medical TV show.
8. A gadget I couldn’t live without is: My insulin pump
9. The hardest part about nights are: not waking up because of a low blood sugar.
10. Each day I take 1 pill & a billion vitamins.  2 pills, and continuous insulin....
11. Regarding alternative treatments I: a cure would be nice!
12. If I had to choose between an invisible illness or visible I would choose:  I like that it isn't out there for everyone to see all the time. But other times I'm proud of it and let it be known and not care :)
13. Regarding working and career:  I would love to work in a field that helps PWD's.
14. People would be surprised to know: I don't know. Hard to think of anything for this. Sorry!
15. The hardest thing to accept about my new reality has been: that there's a good chance that something Diabetes-related will kill me. 
16. Something I never thought I could do with my illness that I did was: Advocate. Stand up for something bigger than myself and give a voice to the people who can't speak for themselves. 
17. The commercials about my illness: bother me. A lot of them are so inaccurate....
18. Something I really miss doing since I was diagnosed is: being able to exercise or play sports and not worry about a drop in blood sugar afterwards.
19. It was really hard to have to give up: I can't think of anything I really "gave up"...
20. A new hobby I have taken up since my diagnosis is: blogging. I never would have imagined myself having my own blog.
21. If I could have one day of feeling normal again I would: oh man, I would eat so much damn food..now I'm hungry!
22. My illness has taught me: that living with it, with others who have it, makes a world of a difference!
23. Want to know a secret? One thing people say that gets under my skin is: "oh, you really need to take care of yourself!" DUH!
24. But I love it when people: are themselves.
25. My favorite motto, scripture, quote that gets me through tough times is: You can do this.
26. When someone is diagnosed I’d like to tell them: that they are not alone!
27. Something that has surprised me about living with an illness is: I went from feeling like I was the only one with this illness, to having so many friends because of it!
28. The nicest thing someone did for me when I wasn’t feeling well was: stayed with me and made me laugh when we were both low....my girlfriend is the best. <3
29. I’m involved with Invisible Illness Week because: I like to steal ideas from Kerri. :)
30. The fact that you read this list makes me feel: like you care about people with diabetes!

3 comments:

  1. I like idea-stealers. :) Great meme, and I love your motto!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AMEN on the commercials...ugh! Loved your list, great reminder that we are not alone. I'll be checking out Kerri's too!!! :)

    ReplyDelete