Saturday, September 3, 2011

My Brothers Basement

So here I am...living in my brothers basement. Hurricane Irene destroyed my house, and destroyed thousands of dollars worth of my families belongings. Hundreds of baby pictures, lawn equipment, kitchen appliances, furniture, everything. Luckily we got any medical supplies out, and moved all vehicles  out of the flooded area. This entire week has been devastating for my family. I lived in that house for 18 years, and just like that it was swept out from underneath me. The yard I played baseball with my brothers in, the yard I played frisbee with my puppy in. The yard I built massive snowmen in during the winter. Overnight my quiet, wooded, neighborhood turned into a "toxic neighborhood". Going down the hill and into my street is like entering a new dimension.

It's still unreal. My whole family is still in denial. When we go to our house, we do nothing but throw our personal belongings into dumpsters and cry. Eighteen years of memories are now over-shadowed and put to an end by Hurricane Irene. Because of the flood, the sewage plant down the street over-flowed and spilled rotten sewage into our street, filled my house with shit and destroyed everything. Everything the water touched turned into garbage. FEMA tested the air and the water in my neighborhood and discovered that there is 700 times the healthy limit of E-Coli in the water and air. Red Cross told us we can't even simply open a bag of chips and eat it because E-Coli will infect it within seconds.

Eighteen years destroyed by sewage, water, wind, and rain. It's very bittersweet going down that familiar road. It will never be the same, no matter how much fixing and painting someone can do. My childhood was destroyed overnight. Home is gone. I no longer have a place to call "home". I no longer have a place to sit down with my Mom and just talk about life. I don't have a place to go, where I can lock myself in a room and just forget about everything. I hate being separated from my family, although I know it's bound to happen someday, this is such a shock to someones system. I've cried a lot this week, I don't think I have tears anymore to cry.

Eighteen years of my life swept away in hours. Now it's up to insurance and FEMA what will happen to my street. Some rumors are that the town will buy my whole road and turn it into a dirt road. Twenty-Seven house were destroyed on my street. Twenty-seven families lives have changed and don't know what to do next. My parents are in a camper behind a gas station, and here I am....living in my brothers basement.

5 comments:

  1. Don't know what to say except, peace. I hope and pray that your family will be able to come through this together! I hope the first item you obtain as a family is that kitchen table, so you and your Mom can continue the conversations about life. Soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My God, Dustin... I too don't know what to say. I'm so very sorry this happened. It doesn't help much, but remember no one can take those 18 years of memories from your mind. They are yours, and are anything but toxic - they are cleansing. I hope you all find some peace and answers soon, as the rebuilding of "home" begins. My best your way, bud.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ((((((Dustin))))))

    I have no words of wisdom or comfort to offer. I can't even begin to fathom what you're going through. All I can say is that I'm glad you, your Mom, & your Dad are safe and that I'm praying every single day that you are all back under the same roof again soon.

    Love you, kiddo!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Dustin, your story has me in tears for you and your family. I am so very, very sorry for you all. My prayers are with you as you find your new home and work to rebuild your precious memories. (((Hugs)) to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Dustin, I'm so sorry. Please know we are all thinking of you and your family. Sending prayers and ((((hugs))).

    If you need any D stuff please let me know xoxo

    ReplyDelete