Friday, January 20, 2012

Correcting Lows

When I was first diagnosed with Type 1, I always corrected low blood sugars with soda. I never knew how many carbs I was drinking, even if it was just a couple of sips, so I didn't know how high my blood sugar would go. Normally, when I corrected a low I would shoot into the 250-300 range and that range would end up being my "diabetes comfort zone".

After 5 years or so of doing that I purchased a CGM, and about a year later I purchased an insulin pump, to further help my life with diabetes. I learned about all the things people used to correct lows with, such as candy, soda, glucose tabs, whatever they were comfortable with. I was tired of having a comfortable blood sugar range that was way too high because I corrected with soda.

My A1c has usually been between 7.2 and 7.9 for the first 5 years of managing diabetes. I decided I wanted to change the way I corrected lows, so I knew how many carbs I was putting in my body, so I knew how high I would go and be comfortable with it. I started buying Smarties, which have 6 grams of carbs in one roll. I've been using Smarties as a correction for the past 6 months and my current A1c is 6.5.

My A1c is the lowest it's been since the day I was diagnosed. Not just because of the way I correct, but because of the way I use my CGM, insulin pump, AND how I correct lows. Every little thing you do impacts your life with diabetes. Making a lot of small steps and making small changes can have a very big and positive impact on your diabetes.

3 comments:

  1. What a great post, Dustin! Love the message, and AWESOME job with the A1c!!! Completely true - the little changes we make add up to great big things and can make all the difference. Keep it up, smarties or otherwise, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. way to go, dustin! it's hard to stay on top of things when correcting lows. quite the accomplishment. and congrats on the a1c! :)

    ReplyDelete