Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Diabetes Blog Week - One Great Thing



Living with diabetes (or caring for someone who lives with it) sure does take a lot of work, and it’s easy to be hard on ourselves if we aren’t “perfect”.  But today it’s time to give ourselves some much deserved credit.  Tell us about just one diabetes thing you (or your loved one) does spectacularly!  Fasting blood sugar checks, oral meds sorted and ready, something always on hand to treat a low, or anything that you do for diabetes.  Nothing is too big or too small to celebrate doing well! 


This is to talk about one thing I do well, but I actually have a couple of things I think I do really well that are diabetes related. I used to hate taking my oral medication for my blood pressure and Vitamin D, but now it's a habit that completes my day, and if I don't take them I feel like something is missing all day. Not to mention, taking the Vitamin D daily makes me feel 100% better because I used to be so exhausted without it.


The night before a work day I always check my satchel and make sure I have a decent supply of candy in case I go low at work, along with extra sites in case I need to do a site change at work. Both of those things come in very handy, because going low at work happens lot since I'm always on my feet walking around so I go low frequently. And I've had freak accidents where cannulas would be bent and I'd have a no delivery and would have to do a site change in the bathroom at work!

The night before I always make sure my blood glucose case has at least 20 test strips in it so I know for sure that they will last me the whole work day. You never know when you're going to have a day when you will need to test your blood 12 times while at work. Lastly, I think I'm good at making sure I go to my appointments with my nurse practitioner, because when I was first diagnosed I would skip appointments and it almost got to the point where I nearly was refused treatment. I skipped appointments because of denial, and depression and hated going to a doctor because it made me feel like I was really sick.

That was a long list of things I think I'm good at, and it probably sounds like I'm bragging...but most of that stuff I do out of paranoia or just plain old OCD. And for diabetes, that sounds like a good problem to have :)

2 comments:

  1. I need your motivation to take my vitamin D. I had the endo test me because I was exhausted all the time too. But now that I know I need it, it is so hard for me to remember to take it. It is my only medicine that is not attached to me, so I don't know how to get it in my routine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so cute watching you stock up your satchel. Seriously. It's adorable. It's like you're getting ready for battle with smarties and infusion sets.

    ReplyDelete