Sunday, May 20, 2012

Diabetes Hero



Let’s end our week on a high note and blog about our “Diabetes Hero”.  It can be anyone you’d like to recognize or admire, someone you know personally or not, someone with diabetes or maybe a Type 3.  It might be a fabulous endo or CDE.  It could be a d-celebrity or role-model.  It could be another DOC member.  It’s up to you – who is your Diabetes Hero??




Usually when I first hear the word hero, concerning diabetes, I think of myself. I am the hero of my diabetes. When I'm by myself, I'm doing the finger pokes, the carb counts, deciding how much insulin to use, dealing with a low blood sugar migraine but still making sure my blood sugar isn't completely out of control even when I don't want to do anything but sleep. I'm the hero because at the end of the day, I'm the one who has to face the complications if I get them. When I get in conversations about diabetes with people who don't have it, I say "I have to save my own life every single day".

But if I were to have a hero, that wasn't me, it'd probably be George because I felt like I connected with what he blogs about. He was diagnosed at 17 and I was at 18. So whenever I read his blog, I'd think that he was me from the future. I used to believe that no girl would ever want to be in a relationship with me because diabetes would be too much of a burden and nuisance to them, but when I saw that George was married it gave me hope that I could fall in love even if I do have D. He gave me hope that I could lead a happy life, even after so many years of being a diabetic. I look up to him so much that I bought his "Ninjabetic" t-shirt. He is an awesome person.

My second hero, is someone that I appreciate so much. She's beautiful, intelligent, wise, classy, and just all around amazing. Her name is Ashley Rose, and whenever I'm too exhausted from a low she checks my blood sugar every fifteen minutes until I'm ok again. When I'm high and waiting for my blood sugar to drop, she checks on me every few minutes to see how my blood sugar is. She always tells me "Just tell me if I'm hovering or being annoying and I'll leave you alone." I haven't had to tell her that once, because I know she cares and understands what I'm dealing with when I'm high or low. I was single and diabetic for 6 years before I found Ashley, and I don't want to have another high or low without her arms wrapped around me. She makes me feel safe when I feel like crap, she makes me smile when all I want to do is be grumpy. She makes me feel so important to her, when all I want to do is give up. All she has to say is "I just want you to be safe, babe", and she sweeps me off my feet all over again.

2 comments:

  1. I love you. So so much. I don't know if you've realized it, but over the last 9 months I've taken so much more ownership of my diabetes - online and off - and it's all because of you. The first time we were on Skype and I started taking to you about Byetta like I'd had the conversation a million times before... I hadn't. You were the only one who knew. And seeing that you didn't think I was weird made me realize that it was something I could and should share with the online community. Thank you for being my strength when I don't have enough of my own to get me through this whole diabetes thing. Thank you for giving me something wonderful that I know I never would have had without diabetes. I love you. Lots <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. DeeJay and Ashley, the two of you are incredibly sweet and you are so fortunate to have found each other. I love reading what you have to say to, and about, one another.

    George, you're not so bad yourself! :)

    ReplyDelete