Friday, May 18, 2012

What They Should Know



Today let’s borrow a topic from a #dsma chat held last September.  The tweet asked “What is one thing you would tell someone that doesn’t have diabetes about living with diabetes?”.  Let’s do a little advocating and post what we wish people knew about diabetes.  Have more than one thing you wish people knew?  Go ahead and tell us everything.


   I would like people to know is that I did not get diabetes from eating too much sugar. I would like people to know that when I'm not in a happy-go-lucky mood at work it's not because I'm being anti-social or hate my co-workers. It's more than likely because I woke that morning with a blood sugar of 300-something and I was absolutely exhausted and infuriated with diabetes. I would like people to know that just because I'm 170 pounds soak and wet doesn't mean I can't get diabetes.


I'd like people to know that some days my blood sugar is on a roller coaster, I have a headache and I'd like for them to just not talk to me so I can relax my mind as much as I can. I'd like people to know that I can't cure my diabetes by changing what I eat. My pancreas does not make it's own insulin, and I have to use my pump to get it into my body when I need it. I'd like people to stop telling me what I can and can not eat. I know my body better than anyone else does.

Diabetes doesn't discriminate. You can be tall, short, fat, skinny, young, old, white, black, green, blue, or orange and you can still get it. Diabetes doesn't care what plans you have made for tomorrow. Diabetes can ruin your plans if it wants to. Diabetes can ruin your life if you let it. I'd like you to know that because of diabetes, I found out how strong I am, that no matter how much life gets me down that I WILL wake up tomorrow because I refuse to let diabetes defeat me. 

I'd like you to know that handling diabetes is tough. But not nearly as tough as I am.



No comments:

Post a Comment